Friday, August 24, 2012

(IN)securities

You are a beautiful daughter of The King.

Someone told me that a couple of weeks ago in a text message. I was having a rough morning. One of those beyond emotional days. When it seems like every small insecurity embedded in your heart from past wounds resurfaces. Only to get together with all the other insecurities and throw themselves a huge pity party. All the product of fear and doubt. But nonetheless, I felt weak.

You know how those insecurities feed you mouths full of blatant lies? You aren't strong enough. You aren't good enough. You aren't worthy of love. You can't do this. You will fail. You can't change. He doesn't love you. He's going to leave you. He will be disappointed in you.

But mostly, I kept hearing them say...you aren't strong enough. You aren't good enough. You aren't worthy of love.

Insecurities.

They aren't of us. And they certainly aren't of God. Because what or who could we ever be more secure in than God? If He is our rock, our shield, our protector, and our redeemer...well, that sounds pretty darn secure if you ask me.

God is secure. Not in the sense of being safe. If you've walked with God for even a short time, you probably know by now that He's not about safety. He doesn't wrap you in bubble wrap or keep you locked in a comfortable, easy place. He's not about keeping you from situations that grow and challenge you. He wants you to get your hands dirty. To rub up against some tough, scary crap through which He can build and prune you into who He created you to be. No, God is secure in that we can have complete assurance in Him. We know who He is and who He's not. What He's for and what He's against. We know that He will always be there and always love us. That He will never abandon or give up on us. What could be more secure than that?

So these things we call "insecurities" cannot possibly be of Him. They're outside of who and how He created us to be. They're unwanted excess that we absorb from the world around us. Like a dirty film that sticks to and covers our flesh, tainting the way we see ourselves. They are of this earth. Not of God. And these insecurities, if not of Him who is Truth...must be lies. If not of Him who is goodness...must be evil. If not of Him who is a solid rock...must be insecure. Unreliable. Shaky.

While we cannot be shaken on this trembling earth when we stand firm in Jesus...we begin to shake uncontrollably the second we start to buy into these insecurities.

So why do we hold onto these earthly lies that shake us when we could stand firm in Truth?

We all have our own insecurities. They stem from whatever deep wounds linger beneath the surface. But they all have two things in common: They are not of God, and they are preventing us from becoming the child of God he created us to be.

You are a beautiful daughter of The King.

This one sentence...this one statement...if I truly believed it, would wipe away every single insecurity I experience.

Because my wounds linger in the area of worth. And for so long I searched and searched for external validation through romantic relationships and striving for achievement to heal those wounds. But it only fueled those insecurities more. Time and time again. It let them latch onto my skin just a little bit tighter. Dig their nails in just a little bit deeper. Bend me toward believing in those insecurities just a little bit more.

But I...I am a beautiful daughter of The King.

That makes me perfect in His eyes.
That makes me priceless.
That makes me pure.
That makes me valuable.
That makes me more than good enough.
That makes me royalty.
That makes me worthy of love.

I want to walk boldly and confidently in that. To write it on my heart. To see it in my face when I look in the mirror. To feel it everywhere His presence lingers.

Only then will my insecurities melt away. Only then will I no longer be shaken, but instead stand firm in this Truth: I am a beautiful daughter of The King. It's time to believe in that and live accordingly to overcome my insecurities.

So...who does God say you are? And what insecurities would disappear if you simply accepted and believed in that Truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment