Monday, July 23, 2012

What lights the fire in your belly?

I had a wonderful conversation today with a wise woman. Not just wise, like lived longer than me wise, but deeply, deeply wise. Full of rich knowledge to unpack wise. Dreaming big but possible wise. Making sense of illogical human ways wise. Prophetic wise.

It was an unexpected conversation when I really didn't have time to stop and chat. But it got me thinking. Reevaluating. Dreaming. One of those I could sit here all day and never get bored listening to you conversations.

She told me of a nonprofit vision she's had for years. A dream that's been birthed, but stayed in its newborn stage until she felt moved, called to really give it her all and go for it.

Her vision was beautiful. Her eyes grew bright and her heart surfaces as she shared. Layer after layer, she deeply opened up to me. I could see the orange fire glowing within her. Burning bright. Consuming her whole being.

She was real. She was determined. She knew her power. Her strengths. Her skills. Her purpose. And she was waiting to use it all for the Kingdom. She was a warrior, armed and ready for battle. Waiting for her leader's call to charge full force for victory. Justice. Goodness.

I could write ten different blog posts on the various words of wisdom she shared with me. The various topics we covered and lessons we touched. But one stands out tonight as I replay our conversation in my head. As her bright eyes and burning fire for a cause boldly occupy my gaze.

"What lights a fire in your belly and what lights a fire in mine are totally different. And that's okay. That's how it should be."

Now, I've heard this before and I've said this before.  But somehow it sunk in a little deeper today. My brain wrapped its way around the concept a little closer to full circle.

We talked about competition in the world of nonprofits. How organizations and the people running them are way too concerned with being the ones to "fix" the problem that they pass up opportunities to collaborate and partner together. Ultimately causing less good. Instead of sharing wisdom they've gained with others, keeping it for themselves. As if saving the world is some competition for a trophy rather than a genuine effort to impact lives for the better. To advance the Kingdom.

And that's when she shared with me that she feels its her job to share wisdom from where she's been and what she's learned. Because that wisdom isn't hers. She doesn't own it. It doesn't belong to her. It was freely given to her by God. So how could she selfishly keep it to herself rather than share that richness with others. Its our job to share wisdom. because we did nothing to earn it. We aren't entitled to keep it.

And that's why I write, I realized. To share. I wouldn't necessarily call it wisdom. But lessons I've learned. Thoughts God has given me. Ways he's grown me. Things he's teaching me. Because it was all freely given to me and undeservingly so. And so I must pass it on freely, as well.

And so tonight I want to share the wisdom I gained from my conversation with this lady.

I know we're all wired differently. That different passions fuel us. Different stories move us. Different causes ignite us. I get that. I always have.


But I haven't been acting like all those causes are equal. I have been selfishly promoting my own. Considering it more important. More worthy. More needed in this world than others.

Because when I look at a child who has survived war and is now leading their community in peace, empowered to dream and live a full life again...the fire in my belly is lit. I stir. I'm moved. I'm motivated. I'm determined to do whatever in my power to do more.

Because when I see a child whose spirit is broken. Dreams destroyed. Innocence lost. Parents dead because they were forced to kill them. Sister raped. Future seemingly nonexistent. A child who is numb. Lost. Cold. Spiritually dead...

My heart breaks. It rips and tears and falls into a thousand pieces. My chest aches. The tears come. My world stops. And all I can think about is that their life was just beginning. They were just a kid. how could someone force them to do those horrific, gut-wrenching things? How could you destroy a child like that?

How do we piece them back together? How do we heal their deep wounds? So that they can have a future. Change the course of war. Come to life again.

I have a heart for children. Children who have survived trauma they didn't ask for, deserve, or even understand.

Right now, that's my heart beat. Could it change? Absolutely, if God wants it to. But right now, that's my cause. That's my fight. To help children of war find healing, peace, and empowerment.

But what lights a fire in my belly...isn't what lights a fire in yours And that's okay. That's how it should be.

Because the needs in this world are innumerable. The heartaches and despairs impossible to count. Problems infinite.

Children can't live without clean water. They can't become empowered adults without education. They can't stay in school without food to nourish and strengthen them with energy to learn. Their parents can't buy food without an income. But they need skills to find a job. And those skills need to be valued enough that they get paid fairly at those jobs.

And that's not even the half of it.

We need peacemakers to end war. We need good, honest politicians to enforce fair laws. We need doctors to physically heal people. Teachers to educate people. Counselors and social workers to empower people. Moms to raise people.

And what about all of the different problems our world is currently facing?
-sex trafficking
-war
-autism
-abuse
-homelessness
-poverty
-physical disabilities
-cancer
-crime
-addiction
-greed
-destruction of the environment
-global warming
-exploitation
-dictatorships
-sexism
-hate
-illiteracy
-unequal access to education
-rape

I could go on forever. The point is, our world is full of problems. If you think about it long enough, its quite depressing. But all of these problems need to be solved. Every single one of them.

And so we need dreamers, believers, and fighters for each of these causes. That's how change happens. Passion fuels action. But without that passion, without hearts being stirred and fires being lit...we don't get anywhere.

So who are we to champion our own cause as if its somehow more important than another's? And after all those causes belong to the world, to God, not to ourselves. They aren't ours. How can we rank the many different ways of bringing good to the world? We can't. It's utterly impossible.

Bettering a life is the most important thing we can do on this earth. And to that one life, it's the best thing that could have ever been done.

Making a difference is the most valuable use of our time. No matter what population we are making a difference within. No difference you make is better than the difference someone else makes. No matter where or when or how it is made.

It's about making the difference you are meant to make.

WHERE does your heart beat? WHAT lights the fire in your belly?

Go THERE. Work THERE. Do good THERE. Make a difference THERE.

Because you can sure as Hell bet that that is not the same heartbeat I have. And that its not what lights the fire in my belly. And so not only should you fight for that cause and dedicate yourself to that dream...but you have to. Because if you don't...I won't.

It's not my fire. It's not where my heart is. It's not my calling. And it's not my battle.

So while I'm fighting mine, you better put on your armor and prepare to charge full force into the front lines. If you look hard enough, you'll find an army to ride with you right by your side. You won't have to fight it alone.

But you better believe its on you to move. To accept that call. To respond to that very unique, very real fire burning in your belly.

Because what lights the fire in your belly isn't what lights the fire in mine.

The world needs YOU.

So, when you hear the word "charge" loud and clear from your commander...

Will you retreat?


Or will you rise to the challenge you've been given, let that fire consume every part of your being, and charge full force to champion your own, unique, undoubtedly important cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment