Saturday, April 20, 2013

Exposed brick

Exposed brick
a wall
that welcomes you
into its story
singing its song
with its cracks & crevices
a mysterious invitation
into its past
and the past of others
who have drawn near
warm in hue
and heart
its holes say "home"
its imperfections
a call to
vulnerability
an anthem of
authenticity
drawing you into
your true self
as you stare hard
into its openings

Why cover something
so naturally beautiful
so unique
impossible to replicate
why hide its powerful past
behind a mask of plaster
to do so would deny
the world a glimpse
into its soul

But what's inviting
in another
what draws us to them
towards their light
is what we hide from
ourselves
the authenticity
in this rustic exposed brick
is inviting
enchanting
approachable
yet I avoid showing
any of my cracks
I cover
all of my holes
with thick plaster
I mask
any resemblance of past
with fake
hiding my baggage
like my darkest secret
instead of
my best story
most inviting feature
warmest aspect

Exposed brick
covers this coffeeshop wall
a powerful reminder that
we offer the most
to this broken world
when VULNERABLE
we are our best
when AUTHENTIC
We must expose
ourselves
our pasts
our hearts
We must embrace
our cracks
our holes
our damage
It is what makes us
us
what gives us
character
warmth
and appeal

Exposed brick
doesn't hide behind plaster
hear the call
to authenticity
see the
incomparable worth
of your fractured state
expose it all
invite the world into
your story
welcome them into
a new way of life

Exposure transforms
Redemption awaits

No comments:

Post a Comment