Thursday, April 19, 2012

Only in Africa

As I sit on my hotel balcony, overlooking the hustle and bustle of a busy Kigali street, I feel...at home.

The sound of Botas and taxis honking their way through traffic. Rwandan voices growing louder and then fainter as they walk down the street below me. It all sounds so familiar. So comforting. This is the Africa I know and love. And have dearly missed.

The view is breathtaking. Tall buildings ahead to my right and left that would block any view from either side of me. But directly in front of me, there is nothing but lush green mountains. At first glance covered with small homes. But seemingly empty at the top. Except for the trees and the carved out fields of crops. It is a very distinct kind of green. One I don't often see in the middle of Worcester. And it seems as if the mountains never end.

Their tops are met softly with the touch of the hazy blue sky. You can tell its been raining. Blues met by the kiss of gray. Covering the mountains like a shield of protection.

Black birds with white bellies underneath fly gracefully through the sky.

The wind is picking up strength and speed. A tall tree just outside my balcony sways along with its rhythm. Toward me and away. Closer and farther. Its branches dance gracefully in their own direction. Feeling the wind. Becoming one with its movement.

And as my cheeks and shoulders are touched by the wind. As my hair sways back and forth doing a dance of its own. As the wind gets stronger and encircles my entire body...

I feel at one with my surroundings. My body cannot remove itself from the addicting chill of the wind. My eyes cannot remove their gaze from the mesmerizing mountains. From the sky which looks softly hand painted by beautiful blue and gray watercolors.

I am cold all over from the chilly breeze. But my body could not be more warm inside.

Only in Africa have I ever felt this connection to nature so strongly. Only in Africa have I felt so at peace. At one with and inseparable form my environment. Only in Africa have I felt so alive. So content. So full. Of joy. Peace. And love.

People always ask me why I love Africa so much. I always say it is full of life. It is vibrant. Home to the most beautiful and alive people I have ever met.

It isn't easy to describe. And I struggle.

But there is a spirit that dwells here. It is vibrant. Loving. Welcoming. Life-giving. Captivating.

You find it here and if you let it, it quickly steals your body and soul.

And you feel whole. Alive. And connected to everything in and around you. You see more. You taste more. You feel more. You hear more. But only if you welcome and embrace this indescribable African spirit.

This is the Africa that I know and love. Which will always occupy my heart.

But today, sitting on my hotel balcony in Kigali, Rwanda, it showed itself to me in new and more beautiful ways. Made its way back into my body. Surrounded me. Filled me. Completed me.

Thank you, Africa, for your unique and indescribable spirit. And for welcoming me to what feels like home with open arms once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment