Monday, March 12, 2012

Preparing my heart...in a coffee shop

Today
is the beginning...

Of a season
of a commitment
and I hope
a transformation

Today is my first
8AM prayer shift
at WooHOP,
the Woo's House of Prayer

In 15 short minutes
I will sit
on holy ground
inside that old red church

I will kneel before
that miraculous
golden bowl full
of prayers

Hearing the wind
rush in through
that old yet oh so charming
taped up corner window

Listening to
the sweet sound
of worship music
streaming through my headphones

I will humble myself
before the One
before the Only
before my Father

And I will pray
for the people
whose names are scribbled
on those little cards

For those I know
and those I don't
for my Church
and for this city

But first I will wait
here in this local coffee shop
just a block away

and write

I will sit here
and prepare my heart
as I sip slowly at my
fresh brewed dark roast
which almost burns
my tongue it's so hot

Watching the steam
disappear in the air
soaking up the precious
emptiness of this space

Yes, I am currently
the only customer
It's dead quiet behind
NeedToBreathe filling my ears

And as time approaches
I am ready
to humble myself
to forget everything
outside that tiny room
to acknowledge His power
holiness and love

...to pray

1 comment: